Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Twist

It's been almost two years since Junior started therapy.  Most of you who read this know the back story, so I am not going to repeat it all.  The reasons he started and the reasons he's still going have changed, and it's become more about us as a family, and not so much about the stuff that started this.  Am I being cryptic?  I don't mean to be.  Let me try this again.

The focus of therapy has changed from dealing with the hurt and anger to coping with it.  Does that make sense?  In our sessions, we talk more about what we do as a family ( meaning me, Junior, and the kids) and less about how other family members (his dad, mother, and brother) influence our lives, because it has been so long since we have seen any of them, they no longer effect (or affect, I never know which to use) Junior's day to day life.  Sure, he is still dealing with his past, and all that other stuff, but we also talk about how he acts towards our kids and me. 

So yesterday, Elizabeth, who is our therapist, and Myra, the therapist who has sat in for the last two sessions, came into the waiting room to call us back.  They noticed that we had all the kids with us (we were going straight to my mom's house from there) and got very excited.  They wanted the kids to join us for a session.  I think that kind of freaked Junior out a bit, but we agreed.  Unfortunately, the family room was unavailable, and the room we were in was too small for all of us.  But, for next session, Elizabeth booked the family room, and we are all going to play some kind of game. 

It should be interesting.  I already told the kids, and I made sure they know that they can answer any question however they want, being completely honest.  I am terrified thinking about what will come out of their mouths, but it should be fun.

Gulp.

No comments: